I love making a difference in the lives of my clients. My practice is focused on helping people. For each client, I try to help improve their situation and obtain excellent results.–Sonya Tien
Nationally-ranked and named one the “Top 40 Under 40” Civil Plaintiff Trial Lawyers by The National Trial Lawyers, Sonya Tien established Tien Law Firm, PLLC to serve injured clients and their families throughout North Carolina.
Ms. Tien won 17 scholarships and received her undergraduate degree in Business Administration from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Kenan-Flagler Business School, and after graduating, became a Case Manager at a law firm in Chapel Hill, where she helped to get disability benefits for her clients.
Ms. Tien received her law degree from Columbia Law School, ranked top ten worldwide. She earned another scholarship in law school and recognition as a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar for academic excellence. While at Columbia Law School, Ms. Tien received her trial training from the former Deputy Chief of the Criminal Division for the United States Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of New York.
In law school, Ms. Tien was selected to serve as a judicial intern for the Honorable George H. Lowe of the United States District Court, Northern District of New York, where she gained invaluable experience in personal injury litigation, product liability, trials, and effective advocacy.
After law school, Ms. Tien joined the litigation team at top international law firm, Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP, where she concentrated on federal investigations and complex commercial litigation. While at Fried Frank, Ms. Tien co-authored the Financial Fraud and Disclosure Issues section of Fried Frank’s monthly White Collar Criminal Defense and Securities Enforcement Memo.
Ms. Tien has been recognized for her skill and success in the field of Personal Injury. In addition to being named “Top 40 Under 40” Civil Plaintiff’s Trial Lawyer by The National Trial Lawyers, she has twice been awarded Nation’s Premier “Top 10 Attorney Under 40” by the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, earned by less than 1% of attorneys, “10 Best Female Attorneys” in 2016 & 2017 by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys, “Top 40 Lawyer Under 40” by the American Society of Legal Advocates, earned by less than 1.5% of lawyers nationally, and Ms. Tien was selected as Raleigh’s top three best injury lawyers by Three Best Rated.
- J.D., Columbia Law School
- B.S.B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Kenan-Flagler Business School
- Awarded 18 Scholarships
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Dean’s List
- Speaker, Fried Frank CLE, “How to Draft an Employment Agreement,” July 22, 2010
- Speaker, Fried Frank, “When Is a Company Required to Disclose Receipt of a Wells Notice?” July 11, 2012
- “Recent Developments in the SEC Cooperation Initiative,” Practising Law Institute, November 2012
- “SEC Cooperation Update: 2012 Year-End Review,” Wall Street Lawyer, January 2013
- “Financial Fraud & Disclosure Issues,” Fried Frank White Collar Criminal Defense & Securities Enforecement Memo.
- North Carolina State Bar
- Tenth Judicial District Bar
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- American Bar Association, 2012-2016
- New York County Lawyers’ Association, 2012-2013
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, 2012-2014
- National Association of Women Lawyers, 2012-2013
- New York State Bar Association, 2012-2013
- North Carolina Bar Association, 2012-2015