Crash Report Form: DMV-349

NC Auto Accident Attorney Discusses
Crash Report Form: DMV-349

When is a NC Crash Report Required?

Under North Carolina law, if you are involved in an accident on a traffic way (any public land), a Crash Report Form or—DMV 349—must be filed in any of the following occur:

  • The crash resulted in a fatality,
  • The crash resulted in a non-fatal personal injury,
  • The crash resulted in total property damage of $1000 or more,
  • The crash resulted in property damage of any amount to a vehicle seized, or
  • The vehicle has been seized and is subject to forfeiture under § G.S. 20-28.2.

A law enforcement officer–whether on the scene of the accident or later at the police state—will file the crash report with the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (NC DMV).  Under G.S.§ 20-166.1(e), a local law enforcement agency that receives an accident report must forward it to the NC DMV within 10 days after receiving the report.

Follow the links below to learn more: