Sonya Tien, Esq.
Founder & Managing Attorney
Sonya Tien is a strategic corporate and litigation lawyer. She was recognized as a Rising Star by Thomas Reuters’ Super Lawyers and her articles have been published in the Wall Street Lawyer and Practising Law Institute.
Ms. Tien earned eighteen scholarships and received her law degree from Columbia University, where she was recognized as a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar for academic excellence. Ms. Tien received her business degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Kenan Flagler Business School.
Before founding Tien Law Firm, Ms. Tien practiced law at Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, SEC compliance and enforcement, government investigations, and complex commercial litigation, where she represented Fortune 500 companies across various industries, such as Bank of America, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, CBRE, Catalent, Goldman Sachs, and Barclays.
Ms. Tien leads the litigation and corporate practice to advise clients across various industries, boards of directors, and financial institutions on a wide range of litigation and corporate matters, including merger and acquisitions, IPOs, corporate governance, IP licensing and transactions, joint ventures, and other corporate and litigation matters.
- J.D., Columbia Law School
- B.S.B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Kenan-Flagler Business School
- Awarded 18 Scholarships
- Columbia Law School Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Dean’s List
- Raleigh’s Top 3 Injury Lawyers, Three Best Rated
- Top 40 Under 40 Civil Plaintiff’s Trial Lawyer, The National Trial Lawyers
- North Carolina State Courts
- New York State Courts
- United States District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- Speaker, Fried Frank CLE, “How to Draft an Employment Agreement,” July, 2010
- Speaker, Fried Frank, “When Is a Company Required to Disclose Receipt of a Wells Notice?” July, 2012
- “Recent Developments in the SEC Cooperation Initiative,” Practising Law Institute, November 2012
- “SEC Cooperation Update: 2012 Year-End Review,” Wall Street Lawyer, January 2013
- “Financial Fraud & Disclosure Issues,” Fried Frank White Collar Criminal Defense & Securities Enforecement Memo.
- North Carolina State Bar
- Tenth Judicial District Bar
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- American Bar Association, 2012-2016